Who We Are
Tutor Eau Claire's primary mission is to raise awareness of dyslexia and other learning disabilities, and offer practical solutions for students with dyslexia, the leading cause of reading failure.
As the literacy outreach of Eau Claire Shalom Ministries* in Columbia, SC, we provide affordable multisensory language training for tutors, tutoring for children, and support for parents.
Tutor Eau Claire was founded in 1999 by Tracey and Hap Ely to meet the needs of struggling/dyslexic students in their neighborhood. Learn more about the early years of Tutor Eau Claire at Seeding A Garden.
*Eau Claire Shalom Ministries, is a 501(c)(3) organization established in 1995 to serve the Eau Claire community of Columbia, SC.
What We Do
In an effort to provide help and hope to struggling readers, Tutor Eau Claire:
- Partners with schools and community groups to raise awareness of dyslexia.
- Offers community workshops and regularly scheduled tutor training using the Barton Reading System, an Orton-Gillingham-influenced multisensory language program.
- Supports parents through consultation, workshops and referrals.
- Provides individual and group tutoring programs that improve reading proficiency.
- Maintains a Dyslexia Resource Library.
- Advocates for improvements in our educational system and for strong legislation on behalf of people with dyslexia and related learning disabilities.